“3800 tons of dairy products in 2050”
With higher income and better nutritional awareness, Vietnamese people have sustainably increased their purchase of dairy products. It is estimated that in 2050, each Vietnamese will consume 34 kilograms of milk and related variants per year, that multiplied by the total population of 112 million people then will result in a market size of 3,800 tons of dairy products.
Currently, 80% of urban households and 50% of rural households shop for dairy products every month. Vietnamese consumers also prefer to purchase in street shops, though marts and supermarkets are quickly gaining their shares. Besides, when shopping for dairy, buyers tend to combine with other FMCG products, mainly packaged foods such as instant noodles and sugar. Quality and safety are the biggest concerns over dairy products, as they are to foods in general.
“3 major categories of dairy products “
In this article, dairy products can be limited and categorized into 3 categories, namely “Drinking milk”, “Cheese”, and “Yogurt”.Category “Drinking milk” includes fluid milk, flavored milk drinks, flavored powder drinks, and powder milk. From 2013 to 2018, Vietnam’s drinking milk sale value is calculated to increase from $1.2 billion to $2.3 billion (CAGR: 14%).
Vinamilk is the distinct market leader, accounting for 48% of sale value in 2015 and having 152 official outlets nationwide. FrieslandCampina stands second with 25.7%.
Meanwhile, TH Food Chain JSC (TH) has established itself as a new but formidable competitor. Making its debut in 2009, TH has already opened 190 official outlets across the countries.
Category “Cheese” includes processed cheese and natural cheese (only use natural ingredients and let the cheese naturally age). Compared to “Drinking milk”, cheese consumption is quite limited (sale value standing at $51 million in 2013, expectedly $98 million in 2018, CAGR: 14%).
With “La Vache Qui Rit” (Vietnamese name: “Con Bo Cuoi”), Bel Vietnam exerts unchallenged, Honda-esque domination over market by registering 78% of value sale in 2015. The remaining 22% of market value is shared among Fonterra, Lactalis, Vinamilk, and other minor players.
Category “Yogurt” includes Drinking Yogurt and Spoonable Yogurt. In 2013, Vietnam’s yogurt sale value was $333 million. With the CAGR of 12%, sale value will reach $587 million in 2018. Vinamilk shows clear dominance, accounting for 73% of the market’s yogurt sale value. Other well-known players include TH Food Chains JSC and International Dairy JSC (IDP).
“A lot of opportunity for all diary companies”
Vietnam’s scene of dairy market will be very lively in the upcoming years, as all stakeholders are actively changing and innovating. Consumers get habituated to consuming dairy products.
The range of sellers is broadening as many foreign players (New Zealand, Australia, Japan, etc.) have been entering the market. Distribution channels have also been improved tremendously, especially with the thriving of e-commerce.
The government strongly advocates dairy consumption, notably by implementing school milk programs all over the countries. All in all, it will be a dynamic environment that offers a lot of opportunity for all dairy companies in general and Japanese dairy companies in particular.
B&Company Trung Hoang